Being healthy and healthy living is one of the most vital factors of one’s lifestyle and to get this running, proper care needs to be taken at every step of our lives. We live in a modern day today where being presentable and well-groomed is one aspect that stands out. This is one of the major reasons why oral hygiene and dental care is increasingly becoming popular and so is the need for individuals who render these services. If you have the eye to serve the society, have a good amount of compassion building up within you and wish to make a career in the health care industry while ensuring a healthy living to individuals then you ought to make a career in Dental Hygiene.
Role of a Dental Hygienist
A dental hygienist is one who works very closely with the dentist and performs varied tasks to assist the dentist while carrying out different dental procedures and treatments. They are directly involved in taking care of the patients and ensuring that the patients maintain a good oral hygiene. Dental hygienists play a significant role in any dental clinic and hospital as they ensure efficacious and fast treatments by assisting the dentists on a comprehensive basis.
- Assessing the dental patients profusely
- Evaluating their medical and past history
- Preparing a document of the different medical ailments
- Taking x-rays, tests and other examinations
- Diagnose the dental problems
Do you seek a Career as a Dental Hygienist?
If you are someone who wishes to become a dental hygienist and make a prospective career out of it, then you must seek a dental hygiene program. There are many educational institutions like http://www.sjvc.edu/ontario who offer these programs for the benefit of students interested to enter the oral hygiene and maintenance field.
Required Credentials and Educational Qualification
Students looking forward to seek a career as a dental hygienist must be proficient in the following areas of subjects
- Organic and Inorganic Chemistry
- Bio Chemistry
- Human Physiology
- Oral Communication Skills
- Public Speaking skills
- Cultural Anthropology
- Knowledge of Human Anatomy
- Mathematics – Intermediate level
- Writing and Composition
By taking up the Dental Hygienist course which can be completed in about 16 months, graduates will be awarded with the Associate of Science (AS) degree. Students are also eligible to appear for National Board written examinations and other licensure examinations administered by the Regional or State Board Examination. Upon successful completion the students are awarded the title of a registered Dental Hygienist.
Being Trained as a Dental Hygienist
The dental Hygiene Program encompasses the following training and learning aspects –
- How to use the dental management and dental charting computerized software
- Patient Education Programs like CAESY (Clinically Advanced Education System
- How to use Intra-oral cameras
- Techniques to carry out traditional and digital form of x-rays
- How to handle hand and ultrasonic instruments to carry out different treatment procedures like root planning methods and advanced scaling
Being a dental hygienist is not an arduous training task but involves a deeper understanding of what is expected from you as a certified professional. Hence, one must always seek training from a reputed educational institution like http://www.sjvc.edu/ontario.